Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chemo then ER

Friday...was not a fun day, actually I'm still not having fun.  I went to chemo with some shoulder pain when I got home the pain seemed to have lessened, but my left arm felt a little tingly.  I got up to go to the bathroom and my arm suddenly felt so tight.  I looked at my arms next to each other and the left was swollen and discolored-- kind of purplish.  I kind of freaked out--had a little panic attack.  I called the nurse at the VA to see if she thought it was serious enough to go to ER, which she did.  I told my husband that he needed to take me and he was going to have to miss work and stay home with the girls.  I was trying to remain calm but I kept thinking, "I have a blood clot, please let them find it before I die."  I know...dramatic...but I'm sure you would have been scared too.  They took me back pretty quickly and did an ultrasound to check for clots, which they didn't find.  I was glad but then I wanted to know what was happening.  They sent me for a CT scan, and after waiting for quite awhile the doctor gave me the findings.  The doctor who read the scan said that the mass in my chest is pressing down on a vein or artery (I forgot which) which is causing the swelling in my arm.  He released me with pain killers, a sling, and told me to keep my arm elevated as much as possible.  I have been keeping my arm elevated, if not it quickly tightens with the swelling and becomes uncomfortable.  Now however my neck and area around my arm are also starting to swell and make me uncomfortable.  I'm afraid I might have to make another trip to the ER but I hope not.  I am trying to relax....

No comments:

Post a Comment