Friday, April 13, 2012

Last chemo...

Well, today was the last chemo of the Gemzar and Navelbine that I will receive.  I never really thought that it would be bittersweet to end chemo but it really was.  I was hoping that my INR level would be high enough so that I could stop the Lovenox shots, but unfortunately it wasn't.  So, since I start my Neupogen injections tomorrow and still have to take my Lovenox, I will be getting 4 shots a day, 2 of each.  And my poor husband has to give them all to me since I'm a chicken.  :)  My stomach is running out of places to poke so he might have to use my thighs and upper arms.  I am getting my INR tested again on Thursday...please let it be high enough!! 
Yesterday my husband and I flew to LA to meet with the doctor and transplant coordinator.  It was a very long day.  We flew out at 8:30am and got to UCLA earlier than needed.  We just sat around waiting for the coordinator to meet with us.  Before she came over to meet with us she called and asked me if I would be able to squeeze in a PET scan while I was there.  I knew that I wouldn't have time with our return flight being at 5:30 so I called the airline to see how much they would charge to switch to a later flight.  When they said, "No charge" I went ahead and changed our flights to 7:45.  Later, after we had been talking with her for awhile we found out that I wouldn't be able to get the PET scan anyway because one of their machines was down...we changed our tickets for nothing.  I also found out that they won't be able to use my port for my high dose chemo/SCT.  They need something called a double lumen so I will have to have something temporary inserted for my stay there.  So that means....I didn't need this port! The Gemzar/Navelbine could have just gone in an IV, it gave me another scar and it most likely caused my blood clot...and I didn't even need it... :( Oh well...it's already done.

No comments:

Post a Comment