Wednesday, April 4, 2012

So...it is a clot...???

I spent Monday making phone calls to make sure that my doctors were aware of my ER visit...I didn't want to get looked over...I wanted to make sure someone was going to do something.  I left I message with my Las Vegas oncologist, then I even left a message for my UCLA oncologist and emailed my UCLA transplant coordinator.  My UCLA oncologist called me, I was amazed...and she let me know that her fear was that if the mass was putting pressure on the vein, then it was growing.  She said she had spoken to LV oncologist and he was looking into it.  And I sent her office a copy of the CT scan just in case.  Then my LV oncologist's office called to schedule my appointment for the morning of Wednesday the 4th.

Since my ER visit my body and emotions have been through many changes.  Over the weekend the swelling started moving into my neck and underarm area as well, creating some extra soreness and sensitive spots.  This of course freaked me out.  I wasn't sure if I should go back to the ER...I ended up just staying home and trying to rest it and still keep it elevated.  My arm is keeping a good color most of the time.  The veins in my chest and upper left arm are more visible.  It is still swollen and sore but doesn't seems to be bothering me quite as much.  Maybe I have just adjusted to it.

This morning I went to my appointment with the oncologist.  He said that he had the radiologist compare Friday's scan to my scan from October and that the mass in my chest had shrunk, not grown. (YAY!) He said the radiologist description on Friday didn't make much sense because if the mass was pressing on that vein, the Superior Vena Cava, my whole upper body would be swollen, not just one side.  He said looking at me, one swollen arm and the veins being more noticeable made him believe it was a clot.  He said that they could do a dye study to see how the blood was flowing but he wanted to start me on medication right away.  Then he sent me to see a surgeon that he consulted with.  The surgeon explained a little more to me about the blood flow, where my port is positioned, and where they think the clot is.  They think the clot is...kind of...behind my collarbone.  He said this is a difficult area to see with the ultrasound and even the CT scan.  He also told me he could move my port...no thanks, I don't want any more surgeries.  He told me things he could do and basically said he hopes he doesn't have to; that hopefully the problem will be solved.

So, now I have a blood clot and I am having to take two shots of Lovenox in my stomach everyday until my other medication, Coumadin, builds up in my system.  I have to go to a Coumadin clinic Friday to have my levels check in case they need to adjust them.  So...hopefully this will take away the clot and swelling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment