Saturday, January 14, 2012

Second Round, Second Cycle---Take two

I drove to have my chemo on Thursday and to my surprise found that my treatment day had been moved to Friday...so now I will be getting chemo on Fridays.  I didn't so much mind that the day had been changed...I just wish I would have known about it before making the almost hour round trip to the VA clinic and back home.  Oh, well....

So, I went back on Friday, had my labs drawn, talked with my oncologist and had my chemo.  My labs all looked really good.  The doctor asked about side effects...if I was noticing any hair loss, etc.  I told him that I hadn't noticed any hair loss, which I didn't really expect too since I didn't lose my hair with the ABVD treatment from the first time.  The only side effect continues to be the numbness in my fingers and toes...more so my fingers.  I asked if the second part of my treatment, the high dose chemo, will cause me to lose my hair, which he said he thought it would...not permanently of course...but...boo!!  I still have a wig that my brother and sister-in-law bought for my the first time I had cancer.   I am thinking about getting my hair cut the same style as the wig early, so maybe it won't be as big of a shock for the girls.  I asked again about how long I would have to be at UCLA for the treatment...he said 2-4 weeks depending on whether or not there are any complications like infection.  I can't imagine being away from my family that long.  I have never been away from my girls for more than a few hours....what am I going to do?  What are they going to do? 

I have an appointment scheduled to meet with the UCLA doctor on the 30th of this month.  Hopefully she will be able to give me more in-depth information and expectations for treatment and recovery...I just want to be through with this.....and never have to hear "You have cancer"  again....

No comments:

Post a Comment