Thursday, May 2, 2013

Two weeks down

A week ago I received my stem cell transplant. They brought my stem cells in a portable freezer and defrosted them one at a time. Once it was defrosted, they began to infuse them through my IV. Each bag needed to be transfused within 15 min of being defrosted.  The stem cells, or maybe it was the preservative added to them, made the whole room smell and gave me a strong taste in my mouth.  I had heard that it would smell, but luckily it didn't smell bad. My nurse for the day said she thought it smelled like canned sweet corn, so I'll go with that.  It was a sweet smell and a sweet taste.  A few days later when I was walking the halls, I smelled that smell and knew someone else had received their transplant.

Since then, my body has just been trying to recover.  I re-read my last post and thought, "Well that was kind of dramatic." However the truth is I wouldn't have survived out of the hospital. Since my transplant I have received blood again and platelets twice. For the last several days I have been getting neupogen injections to raise my white count.

I'm not sure when, but I developed a rash over my body.  At first I thought it was a reaction to the adhesive, but then thought it was caused by this strong anti-bacterial soap they were putting in my bath water.  However, it could have been a reaction to the chemo or some of the other meds they have me on.  I think it's getting better, but some parts of my skin look worse due to the petechial hemorrageing caused by my low platelet counts.

I also have some mouth sores on my right side.  So, the right side of my mouth and throat are sore.  It makes it more difficult to eat the already not very appetizing food.

The sores and rash should leave as my counts get higher and my body can start healing. Other than the mouth pain, I have been feeling fine.  I'm just ready to get out of here. Hopefully they will let me out by Monday.  It will be nice to go outside again, and to have different food to eat.  Then I will just be one step closer to actually getting to go home and seeing my family again.

My hair began falling out by the handfuls, so today I let them shave it off....Oh well...it will grow back again.

Thank you for your prayers. God is getting me through this!

1 comment:

  1. Prayers are with you Jennifer!! Hope your body starts healing fast & that you get good & strong so you can get back to your babies! :D

    Toots

    ReplyDelete