Thursday, April 18, 2013

The schedule

I was admitted to the hospital yesterday.  I got into my room about 5 and then began all the interviews with nurses and doctors. This is a teaching hospital so I will be questioned by many different people who are learning, as well as those who are handling my care.

Here is kind of a schedule of what I will be doing for the next couple weeks.
Thursday, April 18th-  BCNU chemo 
Friday-Monday, April 19th-22nd-  etoposide and arabinoside each twice a day
Tuesday, April 23rd- melphalan
Wednesday, April 24th - rest
Thursday, April 25th- stem cell infusion

What they are doing is hitting me with high doses of chemo, then rescuing me with my stem cells, which they just put back in my body through my IV line.  After I get my stem cells the rest is about monitoring my recovery.  My blood counts will drop really low the week following my chemo.  I may need blood or platelet infusions, and I am at a high risk for infection.

When they fill like my counts are good enough, usually 10-15 days after receiving stem cells, I will be released but have to stay in the area for up to two more weeks before I get to go home.  It really all depends on how well and how quickly I recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment