Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hair Loss....Boo! :(

Although I can't say I wasn't warned, I can't say that I was expecting it either....bye bye hair.

Sunday, May 6th, I got my hair cut in short chin length bob, with a stacked back.  It looked really cute.  I wanted to get something shorter, not only to be easier to manage, but also because I knew there was the possibility that my hair would be falling out soon.  I had always heard that hair loss was a little easier with shorter hair...it is....I'm positive.

My hair started coming out Thursday, May 10th.  There was hair constantly coming out...strands coming out every time I ran my fingers through it.  The shower was even worse....handfuls of hair came out.  The bathroom trashcan looked like it had a dead hamster in it after every shower.  The hair loss became more and more noticeable.  There is hair all over my house...on my pillow, all over my bathroom, on the recliner, all over the back of my shirt, in my food...very annoying.  I can now see why people just go ahead and shave their heads.  By Mother's Day, you could clearly see my scalp.  I wore a baseball cap on our trip to the Secret Garden.  I would definately feel uncomfortable being seen in public without something covering my head now.  I can pretty much forget about it until I look in the mirror....I told my Mom that I look like Smeagol from the Lord of the Rings.  Now that I have a few options for head coverings, and more on the way since we ordered some today, I am going to have my husband just shave my head.  I know it will be hard to see the last of my hair gone, but the hair all over is really getting on my nerves. 

I have two books that I got for the girls that talk about mom's losing their hair.  We have read them and talked to my oldest about it.  I think she still has questions and she seems more comfortable asking them when we read one of the books.  I know that it will be strange for all of us, but it is just hair....it will grow back.  I know I will be telling myself this quite a bit over the coming weeks or months.  Hopefully it is a good sign....that my cancer will finally be killed...for good this time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment