Friday, February 10, 2012

PET scan update

I went to see my oncologist on Wednesday and he was able to tell me the results, or atleast approximations, of my most recent PET scan.  He said that the smallest spot was no longer there and that the other two, the ones near my lung and heart had shrunk about 30-40%.  I was glad to hear this because I knew that if there hadn't been progress then they would want to switch my chemo drugs and I rather like the ones that I am on now....as much as you can "like" your chemo. The infusion of chemo is quick compared to how long it was the first time with the ABVD.  And my body handles it well, with very few side effects. 

Today I started my 3rd cycle of chemo.  I'm still not sure, but I think I will end up completing 4 cycles. 

I now have two transplant coodinators...one from UCLA and one from my insurance.  I received my packet of information from UCLA yesterday.  I haven't read it word for word...just skimmed, but one thing that I read stuck out.  This is from a copy of the autologous transplant consent form:
    
     Because of the risks associated the the procedure, the chance of six-month
     survival may be greater without stem cell transplantation.  However, it is hoped that
     the chances for long-term survival will be greater with stem cell transplantation.

I sure hope the long-term is the part that applies to me.  I stumbled on a support group online talking about their experiences with stem cell transplant...and they seemed positive...like it was a cure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment